My future job
I would like to work as an editor for a film in the future,
or any audiovisual content like advertising, television, etc (but mostly film, because national televison in general pay less for the editor's work and his job is very underrated). I realized while
working in a short film, since I study Cine y televisión in ICEI, the work I
enjoyed the most in the filmmaking process was the editing of the material in the comfort
of my room with a cup of tea. It sounds a bit out of touch and lonely but it really isn’t.
Ultimately, I depend on the work of several people for the realization of the
short, and my work consist in taking all that effort to create the film everyone
intended to make and more.
Although post-production is the most time consuming part
of the whole process (the shooting of a film might take thee weeks to two
months, while post-production can take over a year), I find it to be the less
stressful. After the pre-production and the shooting, in post-production an editor interacts
just with a handful of people and can offer a different insight of the film, since he’s less involved on the previous phases of production.
It is said that an
editor posses a more objective view of the material, of what works in the film
or not, but I believe and editor strenght relies on the discovery of new meanings within and between shoots, the Kuleshov effect and "intellectual montage" being the most notorious resources of an
editor.
But an editor is not a magician, and I strongly believe the magic of cinema occurs inside the editng room. If the film lacks a coherent vision or intention of what it tries to represent, it will reflect on the final cut. In the end, the whole process is a collaborative effort between all the parties involved.

Comentarios
Publicar un comentario