Jimmy's Hall review

I really like this movie more than The Wind that Shakes the Barley, from the same director. Jimmy Gralton's hall unexpectedly (for me at least, since I'm very ignorant of Ireland history and political state) brought many conflicts with the Catholic church, and the side who won Irish civil war.

Father Sheridan in particular, was bother because of what people was learning in Jimmy's hall, either that be painting, reading, etc since the church had the monopoly on what could be taught to the people. In no time, Jimmy was force to leave Ireland, labeled a communist, and only returned ten years later, which is were the movie takes off. Jimmy's hall is back on bussiness again, figuratively speaking, since it was free and it was run by a comitee, and he's deported again for life this time as an ilegal alien.


I personally like Oonagh and Jimmy's mother because I never doubt how much they love him. This characters felt very honest and sympathetic altough I found strange we never get to see Oonagh's children, since she got married after Jimmy traveled to the States the first time. His mother perfomance was a bit "dry" but I though it fit her character, like someone who has been through a lot.

My favorite scene was the dance between Oonagh and Jimmy, alone and with no music in the hall. I thought it was very romantic scene.
I personally didn't like Father Seamus character, since I felt he was only there to to say how wrong everything the church was doing and it felt pretty redundant and out of place.

Comentarios

  1. And the dance scene it's great because we hear the music but very slow, that is a nice detail. In other movie with that kind of scene we would probably listen the music in a normal intensity.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. That scene is beautiful, it has nice details and that creates a wonderful atmosphere.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I love that scene is so romantic and wonderful!

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

A country I would like to visit

The Wind That Shakes The Barley Review

My future job